Pages

Saturday, September 6, 2014

My Climb Up Mt. Rainier

First some background: prior to my ascent of Mt. Rainier, I've never had any true high altitude experience. The mountain had captivated me from the first time I saw it and began to read into it. It had become a personal challenge of mine, something I felt I had to do. I finally had the chance to climb it this past season. 


My first glimpse of the beast
For my post about Mt. Rainier, I'd like to focus more on how the climb affected me, rather than the details of the climb.

But no post about any climb would be complete without details, so I'll go ahead and give some quick ones. The ascent was straightforward– a 2-day (well 32 hours actually) push up the Disappointment Cleaver route. On day 1, I started at Paradise (5,400') and climbed about 5.5 hours to Camp Muir (~10,000'). After 3 hours of rest and 5 hours of light sleep, I woke up at midnight to begin my summit prep. With my crampons, helmet, and harness on, I set off into the night under the glow of my headlamp. I traversed the Cowlitz Glacier and headed up Cathedral Gap to the Ingraham Flats. From there I slogged up the Cleaver to High Break. Finally, I went up to the summit crater and stepped onto Columbia Crest at about 7:30AM. My day ended back in the Paradise parking lot around 5PM. That was it. Climb over, right? Wrong.


The Disappointment Cleaver Route
14,410'
Not a day has gone by since that summit in early July where I haven't relived every second of the climb. I'll see little things throughout the day that bring me back to the mountain– a pack of ramen noodles (my dinner at Muir), a flashlight, or even a portable toilet. What the ascent has truly given me is a frame of reference for everyday life. Whenever I'm faced with a challenge, like homework or projects, I think back to the mountain. After all, a few hours of homework is nothing compared to that 30+ hour mental and physical test that I passed. The sheer sense of accomplishment that the hike has given me is immense. Every trek I've done since the mountain I always think, "If I climbed the mountain, then I can certainly do this." I still don't think the adrenaline from that ascent has left my body. And I don't believe it ever will. Even as I tackle bigger mountains, the thrill of that first summit is something that will stay with me forever. 

Of course, I did not conquer the mountain. Nobody ever "beats" the mountain. The mountain was nice enough to give me fantastic weather while I was on it. It has no mercy. It does not care if you are a first timer or a seasoned pro. I am just thankful I made it down safely because at the end of the day, that's all that matters.

Stay safe and enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment